Pet Owners Warned After Suspected Poisoning At Kedron Brook Off Leash Area

Kedron Brook off leash area
Photo credit: Google Street View

A concerned Brisbane resident has warned pet owners to be more careful when bringing their dogs to the Kedron Brook off leash area due to a case of suspected poisoning which has seen three dogs pass away and left one in critical condition.


Read: After the Floods: Kedron Brook Restoration Updates


The concerned local has taken to social media to tell other pet parents to be cautious around Kedron Brook off-leash area, which is one of the most popular dog parks in Brisbane.

“For those who visit Kedron Brook dog park, please be cautious with taking your pooches there!” the post reads.

“A friend’s dog, along with four other dogs ingested something poisonous there on Sunday (a fungal poison) which can come from mushrooms or possible baiting. Three of those dogs have passed away already while my friend’s dog has been in critical care since!” the concerned resident shared.

A similar case happened in Budina beach in Sunshine Coast just this August, where five dogs died because of poisoning. Authorities believe poisonings are either intentional or accidental. However, despite working hard on this case, investigators admitted that there may not be an easy answer.

Tower Ad

Under the State’s Animal Care and Protection Act 2001, it is an offence to administer, feed or lay a bait, or a harmful or poisonous substance, with the intention of injuring or killing an animal.

The maximum penalty for an individual convicted of these offences is $41,355 or 1 year imprisonment.

Pet owners in Queensland whose dogs ingested poison may report the incident to the RSPCA on 1300 ANIMAL or QPS. You may also receive free poisoning advice from the Australian Animal Poisons Helpline.

How to Tell if A Dog Has Been Poisoned

Photo credit: Tima Miroshnichenko/Pexels

The common signs and symptoms of poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and convulsions. Immediately seek vet treatment if you see these signs or suspect that your dog may have ingested something toxic. 


Read: Puppy Carers from North Brisbane in Demand for Vision Australia


When walking with pets, owners can protect their fur babies by making sure the dogs are not eating or drinking anything from the area.